Tanzanian textiles has huge potential, with competitively priced labour, preferential trade access to world markets, substantial domestic cotton production, and strong government commitment to supporting domestic and foreign investors, particularly in manufacturing.
The Textile Development Unit - embedded within the Ministry of Industry and Trade - works to increase the competitiveness and profitability of the sector by:
- Helping new investors to identify land, buildings and industrial zone development opportunities
- Linking investors to joint venture partners and the government agencies that can support them
- Helping existing investors expand volumes, find new markets and improve efficiency
- Facilitating supplier relationships
- Building training capabilities to ensure a skilled workforce both now and in the future
- Guiding policy-making and implementation to make sure Tanzania has the best possible business and investment climate for textile, garment and apparel production